Arthritis is medical condition that causes inflammation of the joints. It can affect one joint or many joints. In the culture of Yoruba in the South West of Nigeria, arthritis is often referred to as “awoka”. It means moving pain, the pain moves to joints of different part of the body. “Awoka” is a right description for arthritis that affects multiple joints.
TYPES of Arthritis
We have more than 100 different types. Out of this, osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are the most common types. Others include: gouts, septic, Juvenile and ankylosing spondylitis.
They are common in the following areas of the body like:
- Lower back
What causes arthritis?
Different types have different causes. For instance, gout is as a result of too much uric acid in your body. But for some other types of arthritis, the exact cause is unknown. Do you know that You may develop this condition if you have:
- family history of such medical condition.
- a job or play a sport that puts repeated stress on your joints.
- certain autoimmune diseases or viral infections.
SYMPTOMS of Arthritis
Joint pain, stiffness, redness, tenderness and swelling are the most common symptoms. Different types have different symptoms. They can be mild in some people and severe in others. Joint discomfort might come and go, or it could stay constant. You may have problem with your range of motion. You may experience redness of the skin around the joint. Many people with OA notice their symptoms are worse in the morning.
The symptoms usually develop gradually. For some, it may appear suddenly. People from 65years and above will likely experience it. It can develop in children, teens, and younger adults still. But, More women have OA more than men.
The inflammation of RA is caused by the poor immune system . You may feel tired or loss of appetite. This may make you to become short of red blood cells or have a slight fever. If not treated, Severe RA can cause joint deformity.
How can it be prevented?
You can lower your chances of developing arthritis by:
- Avoiding tobacco products.
- Doing low-impact, non-weight bearing exercise. these set of exercises will prevent you bearing too much weight or pressure on the joint
- Maintaining a healthy body weight. If you are either heavy weight or obese, you have high tendency of having arthritic. This is because the lower leg will not be strong enough to bear the increasing weight of the trunk. it will later cause a shear stress on the knee joint and end up causing knee pain
- Reducing your risk of joint injuries. There are some set of activities that if one engages in, will make someone to have tendency for knee joint injury. Likewise, there are some work like sewing can make an individual to have the condition
Common treatment options are
- Thermotherapy, the use of heat to increase blood circulation.
- Manual therapy, the use of special techniques to realign the joint surfaces.
- Rehabilitation exercises, the use of specific exercises to build up thigh muscles
- TENS, use of electrical stimulation to distort pain perception
- Acupuncture, usage of pins to aid treatment
- Medication, usage of drug to reduce pain and inflammation
- Therapeutic injections, use of analgesic on the joint space
Do you need help?
KABWORLD Physiotherapy is one of the best physiotherapists that offers patients home care in Ikorodu, Lagos Mainland and Lagos Island excellent care with an individualized treatment plan to meet your specific needs. If you are having Osteoarthritis or any other physiotherapy conditions, our dedicated Physiotherapists will ensure you get back to the activities you enjoy and love. Reach out to us today on (234) 7033-309-554 for an appointment today or email us at email@example.com to book a consultation.